Today was my 19th birthday, just another day come and gone. Just another day celebrated for the life that Christ has given me. Today was my first birthday away from home and everything that I know. I must say though, I have managed to find my place here at Sarah Lawrence and with it some beautiful and caring friends. Jesus truly is Lord. He keeps his promises to never leave me. I just need to make sure and not get too comfortable. To be on a mission here, even when I have people I can relax with. I need to shine Christ’s light not only to the lost, which come in overwhelming numbers here, but to those who have His truth in their lives, to my friends and loved ones.

This morning I woke up to find flowers and a bottle of Champaign on my windowsill from my two best friends at Sarah Lawrence, Maddy and Erin. They have truly worked to make my birthday here as great as ever. I am so thankful for them and everything they do for me. They make this place home for me. They are the reason I stay here so happily, the reason I find unconditional love on this barren campus.

At lunch I found that my parents had ordered me a cake. Red velvet with great icing. I am so thankful for my parents. I could not have asked for two better people to guide me these past 19 years and to teach me everything they have learned about life. It is my first birthday without them. But somehow I don’t feel separated at all. Maybe in a tangible sense but otherwise I know they are here. They are inside me guiding me; I can feel their love for me even thousands of miles away.

Today was a great day, just another day, but still a great one. I am a year older but no one ever feels the age creeping up on them as so many say they will. Just another day that signifies the changing of a number in which I identify. But still. I can’t help but thank God for what He has shown me and given me. And as the numbers change I pray I grow wiser and closer to Him. So 19 it is, for now.

My Godmother, Adrienne, sent me this picture of us on the day I was born.


One Comment

  1. Abs--The cake LOOKS great; hope it was great, and I'm glad our plots worked. I cannot help notice, though that as a newborn you were very small! Not unhealthily so, and with a very active tongue. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.