I was going to wait until tomorrow to post but I just cannot contain myself.

Today was such an awesome day. We did urban ministry in downtown Edmonton. I served and ate lunch at a homeless shelter called Hope Mission.

And then me and two others made our way throughout the streets experiencing life as the homeless know it.

Later we went and sorted clothes at a place called the Mustard Seed.

There were tons of homeless people lined up on the street to get into the Seed, such a great opportunity to just talk to people.

It is amazing what a simple conversation could do.

Later at the Seed I sat down to talk with an older man sitting all by himself. We talked for hours about everything, life, American Politics, and "religion." He told me that he had lost his job but everyday he took care of a disabled man for no pay. He lived in a boarding home and had no family. He was so interesting and so smart.

I asked him if he had ever known Jesus on a personal level. Long story short I led him to dedicate his life to the Lord. It was the best thing that I have done yet-- or better yet, that God has done through me.

I invited him to my church. I don't know if he will come. But I will be praying for him every single day.

Now he knows it is not about religion, it is about a relationship with God.

This man changed me. He showed me what God can do if I allow Him to use me. This man also made me realize how important it is to me for homeless or less fortunate people to be welcomed in my church. Here, in Edmonton, at City Center I know he would be. But at home, I am struggling... because I am not so sure.

As much as we say that we are accepting and Jesus called us to love the poor and needy, I know that if a homeless person walked through those doors of my home church people would wonder... they would look at him with judgement and they may even be scared.

Now I am not trying to generalize because some people there were the ones who taught me how to love and even what missions meant.. But the population as a whole.. I am just not so sure.

This is just causing me to think. And I don't want to offend anyone. But I just feel I need to be somewhere that if I were to invite my homeless friends to come, they would be welcomed.

Tonight-- even though I was forced to be up so late-- has changed my life. I feel God just placing urban missions on my heart. Maybe not forever... But before, I was so scared of people on the streets. I didn't admit it but I was. I no longer am. Because we are all the same. And I have learned that tonight. We are all the same.

So as you go to bed tonight, don't forget to pray for those who don't have beds or showers. And I am not asking you to be more thankful (although that would be nice) and I am not asking you to give money (but that would be nice too). I am asking you to give your time. All people need is for someone to listen to them, to their story.

There could be countless amounts of money being poured into a mission but it would be nothing without people being there, being relational.

After all. Isn't that why we are here on earth. It's about relationships.

Think about it.



5 Comments

  1. Love it Abs, Love it love it love it...

    Let's move to Van City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby you are right there are a good number who would see the homeless and ask why here. But you know the doors would always be open as they are everyday of the week. When a man, woman and children come off the highway and need to talk, need a drink of water, need a place to sit and rest, the doors are open. For those who would question what a great opportunity to teach them of the open door and arms of christ. Who knows maybe one of those questioning families would have a 12 year old girl who never saw a homeless family, She might ask and even pray and learn from her parents, youth leaders, or just some old guy who seems to live there.We all have so much to learn I am looking forward to learning from you! Looking forward to you visits.
    Mike Hohlier

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish more people had a heart similar to yours. a heart for the Lord and His people. this is beautiful, and i can't wait for you to come visit my neighborhood and my neighbors :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus was homeless, as Shane Claiborne, who preached at St Stephens a couple of weeks ago, says. I bought his button, and his book "Jesus for President" just came in the mail. I'll pass it on to you. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.