Kids Travel Company, often known as KTC is a phrase most HMSers dread hearing. In my program we have to do a certain amount of ministry every semester and each ministry event is assigned by the powers that be, this semester I got stuck with three whole days of KTC.


Let me expand on the concept of KTC... It is a program that travels around to schools and churches (even overseas) and does kids ministry in the form of services, worship dances, snacks, and crafts, among other things.

The type of person who loves KTC is usually a hyper individual who is very outspoken and could be described as overwhelming at times. OR often times the motherly type who has wanted kids from the moment of their first baby doll... I, for one, fit into none of these categories (despite my undying love for baby dolls as a child) and the thought of spending all day with a pack of rowdy North American kids (I love Haitian children) absolutely makes me tick.

So I approached this week begging God for a good attitude and for Him to open my heart.

To my surprise I had a blast with the kids this week, leading worship and doing crafts. I treasure the times I spent with them after the service when they would ask me for prayer. I realize now that I have been underestimating children when it comes to their faith in God. Some of the things they would ask me to pray for were things I, myself, was struggling with; the burdens these kids bare for their lost family members and friends are heart breaking.

This caused me to think back to when I was their age. I remember a little foster girl my family kept who got hurt very badly by a man and that is when I first really prayed to God. I made a deal with Him-- if You save her life I will go to church all summer, every Sunday... Now I know that is not really how it works, but the fact is that I had such a heart for this baby girl when I was so young. Children are so much more aware than I give them credit for.

This past week I have learned so much about God and His little children, He has shown me that if you really go into a situation with prayer and an open heart He can change so much inside of you.

I can safely say that I am thankful for North American kids ministry even though I am definitely not called to do it; bless those who are.


One Comment

  1. my heart beats this same way.
    I love children - and I have always wanted to have my own baby someday. always.
    but there's something about kid's ministry that makes me roll my eyes and dread the hours spent in preparation.

    I do know this... the faith of children can bring peace to the world of war, and so I bite my tongue and pray that God uses me anyway.

    and He does.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.